Subwagen kone hybridi!!

Mielenkiintoinen projekti meneillään Australiassa...

Wibble's hybrid engine

Well i've started to get a little more serious with Wibble's wrx headded vw hybrid engine.

After a lot of measuring, a bit of design with autocad and some cardboard templates i've finally got a head-stud conversion system that will work.

The aluminium head plates that block off the water cooling galeries and oil feed to the head were CNC machined at my work. The 12mm steel stud adapters I had water jet cut.

The plan is to use 8 x 10mm high tensile bolts to torque the stud plates down to 25ft-lb. Then 6 12mm high tensile bolts come through the head plates from the bottom of the plate to bolt on the wrx heads to 30ft-lb.

The cam drive system will involve machining up some new hubs that are longer to account for the extended offset needed to get the timing belt to drive off a pully in front of the standard power pully. It will actually work out pretty well as the intake and exhaust cam timing will be fully adjustable. Save to say i've learnt a lot in the past few weeks about how cam timing works in a 4 stroke engine. Its been like craming for an exam.

Lubrication for the OHC heads will come from what is normally the full flow oil return. The oil return from the heads will return to the sump via fittings that will end up screwed into two of the pushrods tube holes. The other two will (each side will be blocked off).

So... Here we see wibble's shiny new empi bubbletop aluminium case. 10mm head studs, 94mm barrels, clearanced and full flowed, some wrx heads courtasy of Reub, and a pair of 94mm barrels

As mentioned earlier, the eventual goal of this engine is 12:1 compression, 7300 RPM, and 200+ naturally aspirated HP. 2180cc (78.4x94).

The prototype is using turbo heads so the compression will be closer to 9:1, but that will do for a prototype. The wrx heads are definatly a lot more suited to a forced induction application. The potential for the prototype would be amazing with a pair of GTR R33 turbos's on it. I'd figure 400-450 HP would be an achievable figure if we got the flywheel wedgemated.

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Guest Toheltaja

onhan noita subarukantisia ollu rallicrosseissakin jo liki 10 vuotta sitten :) muistelen että jossain brittilehdessäkin esitellyssä ahdetussa mokomassa oli luokkaa 650 heppaa, ja vakiolohkoon kasattu...

Guest Toheltaja

on vähän arvokkaat nuo 959 porsaan nelivenakannet laitella tuommoiseen koneeseen ;)

Tuossa taannoin ruottalaaset sanovatten mantoropissa että menee täysin tekemiset hukkaan jos alkaa tekemään porsaan kansista. Sovittelu ja työstäminen ennenku kaikki pelaa on älyttömän iso homma, ja se vastaava hyöty ei ole kovin suuri, verrattuna saman kokoiseen 2 venakanteen jos on hyvin tehty. Kyseessä ahtomoottori.