New 65 Kupla owner in Helsinki with some questions

Moi,

I have recently bought a 1965 Kupla and have some questions about the radio and ignition.

My kupla has 2 ignition switches, one in the dashboard and one on the steering column. (see picture)

Was this something that was done at dealerships for Finnish kupla's or maybe somebody wanted the steering lock?

Also I have a Salora Ulamatik radio and again just wondering was this a dealership fitted or some aftermarket fitting as it seems the Sapphire was the default one fitted if used.

Would anyone have any instructions for the radio or know how to use the 3 buttons?

Kiitos

Alex

post-3692-0-00750300-1496134951_thumb.jpg

post-3692-0-26563200-1496134965_thumb.jpg

post-3692-0-85975400-1496135009_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Alex, welcome to Volkkaripalsta! The Steering lock/switch is accessory, most likely dealer installed like you assumed. Back in the day these were very popular in Sweden, not sure if there was a legal requirement? Salora is Finnish made radio and according to internet sources the production of Ulamatik started '66 or '67, so most likely it's aftermarket fitting. On many old car radios the buttons are for preset channels.

Probably Trafi has the data, as the car is still in use. Some of the old data Trafi has moved to Kansallisarkisto (link:National Archives). You can order the owner history from there by email or by phone with the license plate number. They won't respond to email, but process the request anyway. On the phone they said it takes about two weeks to get the report, but for me it has already taken four with no result yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sherlock,

Have to try the process as the cost was not to high, which was a surprise:)

Were there any surprises when you got the list?

I would be very interested to see if any one has some old pictures and to understand why the 2nd ignition switch on the column was fitted.

Do you think its rude to contact old owners??

Thanks for the head up on that site

Maybe the column one was added to get a steering lock? The one in dash is kind of the stock one, steering lock was an option but also stock for Swedish models. Factory steering lock models dont have the one in dash, nor a hole. Do both locks work in yours? :)